All Posts in custom creations

July 4, 2015 - Comments Off on File Cabinet to Modern Planter

File Cabinet to Modern Planter

File cabinet turned modern planter

I've always loved simple modern planters, but I don't love the price tag that is associated with them. I just can't seem to part with my $200-$500 to put something outside that just holds plants, no matter how lovely it is. There had to be a way to pull off the look without making my wallet cry.

After a little bit of time on Pinterest, I stumbled upon the idea of taking a file cabinet and converting it to a planter. It was the perfect, economical solution I was looking for! Now, I had a plan and I just needed to dig up the materials. Not having an old file cabinet, I bounced down to the local consignment shop to see what they had. After perusing their shelves of treasures, I came across a 2 drawer file cabinet stuffed in the corner and long forgotten. $10 later, the file cabinet was mine.

While I was wrestling the cabinet into the car, I noticed that the bottom was open which would make it extremely difficult to hold any dirt. Not a problem though, I could handle it. I swung by Home Depot on my way home and picked a piece of sheet metal. Since I was there I snagged some paint to updated the look of the well worn cabinet.

At home, I pulled the drawers out and flipped the cabinet on it's back so I could see what I was dealing with. Only things I needed to do was attach the metal and paint it. Pretty simple stuff! After measuring the bottom to see what size I needed to cut the sheet metal to, I put the metal on a flat hard surface and placed a straight edge on my cut lines. There are all sorts of ways to cut sheet metal, so I opted for the low tech version, a sharp utility knife. Since the metal was thin enough, I was able to get away with this method. I scored the metal 7-10 times and then bent the metal at the score to snap off the excess. Once I got the metal cut to size, I attached it to the cabinet with a bead of silicone and sheet metal screws.

After the silicon was set, it was time to beautify this now planter. I scuffed all the surfaces with sandpaper to remove some rust and tape from the cabinet and to give the paint something to stick too. Then it was time for paint. It took 2 spray cans of paint to get the finish I wanted, but it was worth the little extra time.

Overall, I think the piece turned out great and best of all it was easy on my wallet. I've got about $50 invested in this planter and couldn't be happier with way it turned out.

 

From file cabinet to planter.

June 30, 2015 - Comments Off on The Handy Little Display Shelf

The Handy Little Display Shelf

Little Display Shelf

So I looked high and low in stores for little display shelves that could hold a small collection of figures I've bought from a local artist (http://charmedgourd.com/). I only needed them to be 3-4" wide and 4" deep. I couldn't really find anything that I liked, so I thought why not make something.

I went rummaging thru my basement to see what I could come up with. After a little digging, I came up a punched angled galvenized piece of metal. That's a mouth full. Anyways it was a great find, because I wouldn't have to drill holes to attach it to the wall. I wanted this to be a simple build project. You can get a piece like this from your local hardware store for around $10 for a 4ft piece.  Now that I had my "bracket", I just need a little platform for my figures to perch upon.  I went digging in my wood pile and found a piece of thin popular from another project.  Now, I've got all the pieces to build my shelf.

Time for tools. I dug out my Dremel tool and placed a metal cutting wheel in it. I put the metal in a vise and cut it half way between the holes. I aimed for 3 holes per shelf. After I cut the chunk off, I then stuck the filing stone in the Dremel and sanded down the sharp edges from cutting. I highly advise sanding this down. It's really sharp, and if you're not careful you could get a metal burr stuck in your finger. Ouch! From there, I took the wood to the table saw and sliced the platform off.

Now, I had all the pieces. How to assemble? Since these figures don't weight much, maybe 6oz, I opted to use Loctite super glue which works on metal and wood. 20 mins later, I had a little display shelf with an industrail feel. After I glued the pieces together, I had the brilliant idea of staining the shelve to match over wood work in the house. I recommended doing this before gluing. Either way though, I still love the way it turned out.

After everything dried, I was ready to hang it. I noticed the screws  I had wouldn't work. The heads slip thru the holes. So,  I used a washer to narrow the size. I held the washer in place with another drop of super glue. Problem averted. I love super glue.

Now, I have 6 little shelves holding up my lovely figures. The best part. It was made from pieces I had laying around the house!

shelfDetail